Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Matcha Genmaicha



(Image of Matcha Genmaicha tea courtesy of T Ching)

I wasn't sure which tea to start with when ordering from my new favorite website, T Ching, so I went with the tea currently displayed on the store's home page. Its name? Matcha Genmaicha. Its description?


This is a traditional specialty tea created from the combination of sencha leaves and stems and roasted rice. The teas are made from quality sencha from the second harvest. The tea leaves are mixed with organic toasted rice (GENMAI) and fresh organic Matcha powder. In the cup - a heavenly green color with a delicious toasted, nutty flavor. A great transition tea for coffee drinkers and other newbies to premium whole leaf teas. You will love it.


Well. That describes me - I may not be a newbie to tea in general, but I am a newbie to premium whole leaf teas. So I ordered the smallest amount possible (of course - what if I don't like it?!) and it came today. Actually, it probably came a few days ago, but I have been very lazy about checking my mail lately.

I was a little nervous, I admit. After learning all these things about the proper way to brew tea, and probably lacking the best quality equipment and the purest water, what if I made it wrong and it tasted awful? Green tea has never been a favorite with me, but I was taking a chance here.

The packaging was a cardboard tube, and inside the tube was a small paper bag containing my tea. I smelled it. It smelled really bad. My fear grew. Would I have to admit that I disliked a certain premium whole leaf tea? I, who chides anyone who says "I don't like that tea" and tells them they're just not preparing it correctly?

There were basic instructions/recommendations on the back of the bag including how much tea to use for 8 ounces, the temperature of the water, and the steeping time.

I have never held a meat thermometer in my electric kettle as the water heats up, but I did today. As soon as it hit 165, I poured it into my mug to measure how much tea would fill up the mug and then I poured it from my mug into my "steeper". I don't really know what the proper name for it is - it's one of those nifty loose-tea-individual-cup things where the tea steeps, and then you put this contraption on top of your mug and the tea, minus leaves, comes out!

The instructions said to steep it for thirty seconds. So I counted by "one-one thousand, two-one thousand" till "thirty-one thousand" and hurriedly released the tea into my mug.

The tea was cloudy. It looked weird. I was prepared for the worst. I carried it over to my computer and opened Internet Explorer, then took a sip.

And I actually smiled, because it tasted really good. It was just the right temperature to take a sip big enough to warm all the way down, but not enough to scald. It tasted homey, comforting. I think it's the roasted rice that gives it that element. As I've written this, I've made two more infusions from the leaves. And this tea just plain makes me happy. (Note: I made 5 infusions. The last one was as clear as water, but still had the comforting, toasty taste.)

I'm guessing these 50 grams will last me a month, since you can make multiple infusions. After it's gone I'll buy something else random from T Ching. Check out the T Ching Blog or, if you're feeling greedy or covetous and want to feed your desire for things that are not yet yours, visit the T Ching Store.

Yes, this is blatant advertising. No, they are not paying me for this. No, I do not feel one bit of remorse. Go and have some tea!

2 comments:

Sir Brian The Manly said...

Hey, we just got matcha stuff in the café. How rare.

Dr.Gray said...

I really like matcha genmaicha as well. I am not sure why it smelled bad when you opened it though, thats kind of weird. You should try regular genmaicha next time.