Thursday, April 10, 2008

Placeholder


(Photo courtesy of http://openphoto.net)

I have had a very interesting week, and I apologize for this blog's deadness.

Part of the reason I started this blog was because I was bored out of my mind not working due to illness.

The illness is leaving, and I return to work tomorrow, and now it's just a matter of entering life where I left it and trying not to get too overwhelmed.

"Write a blog post" has been on my "to-do" list every day, and I have had no shortage of inspiration. In fact, this last Sunday, my pastor's sermon was about "the tea-bag Christian", and he handed out Lipton tea bags to the entire congregation!

I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry. Here I meant not to make excuses for this week, but now I am.

Things you may hear about in the next week:


Quotes from and thoughts on that lovable genius, C. S. Lewis. I just finished reading Mere Christianity for the second time, and...wow.


More about the "tea-bag" Christian. That was a fantastic sermon. I should have taken notes, but it seems like I always miss some hilarious joke or fantastic point while I'm writing, so I never do.


Alright, I guess I need to throw something non-Christian in here. Wouldn't want to scare the heathens away...


I'm kidding!


Oh! I just finished Oscar Wilde's The Decay of Lying. It seemed absurd at first, but gradually it started to make sense. I don't believe it, but it is certainly an interesting view. Here's a hint: Does Art reflect Nature/Life, or do Nature/Life reflect Art? I will post on that very soon, perhaps tomorrow, while the material is still fresh in my mind. I was rather proud of myself for understanding it - but maybe I am only fooling myself, and Wilde intended a second, higher meaning to become visible to readers better than me. (Yes, it is "me" there, not "I".)


I've also been thinking about people lately, and I intend to notice them more. Their mannerisms, behaviors, personalities. Who they are. I have never made a conscious effort to do this. We'll see how it goes. I can't guarantee anything dynamic.


I apologize for this scattered, rambling post. It is midnight and I have not been able to sleep. I have had at least ten cups of tea today and it may be time for one more. Caffeine-free, of course. Perhaps peppermint.


I will at least leave you with a quote worth reading, since my words aren't:



"The Christian way is different: harder, and easier. Christ says, 'Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down...Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked - the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own will
shall become yours.'"


-C. S. Lewis, of course.

No comments: